Wrather Thoughts

A daily journal of the thoughts, ideas, and life of Ed Wrather who is a pastor and writer of the Burning Bush Devotional www.theburningbush.net wrather@dobsonteleco.com

Tuesday, May 11, 2004

After viewing the video of my preaching last Sunday I was upset that I had not done a better job. I know exactly what many of my problems are when I am preaching but it is another thing all together to change. For example I know that I say "a" all the time as Jeanie reminds me but even knowing that it is difficult to change. I know that I look at my notes too much and I have been trying to do better. It seems that when I am tired I do worse than at other times. Last Sunday I had preached through the entire sermon eight times prior to actually delivering it on Sunday morning. The Sunday before that I had been through the sermon nine times. It may be that I actually need to go through the sermon 15 or 16 times but I run out of time and energy before I can do it. Perhaps the key is in the planning of my week so I can start earlier in preaching through the sermon. Each time I go through the sermon there are usually some things that God shows me that needs to be changed or added.

I know that many preachers have a much better memory and delivery than I do. I know that some do not even have to prepare a sermon they can simply stand up and begin to talk and the words come to them. I know that some do prepare their sermons in written form as I do and yet they are able to preach without looking at their notes and without going through the sermon so many times as I do. I also know that God can use my preaching in spite of my flaws and that He does use it. It may be that this is the best that I can do.

When I was still in junior high and high school I was very introverted and shy. It was painful for me to speak in front of people or to be in conversational situations. That has improved but I am sure that it still causes stress.

Considering my preaching abilities and my own unholiness I sometimes wonder how God can put up with me. Surely there are many others that could do a much better job. Lord, forgive me for how I have failed you and help me to be all that you want me to be.

Please pray for me! Thank you for your faithfulness, support, and prayers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home